The Ocean is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of its employees, volunteers, members, customers, donors and other stakeholders. We value the trust of those we deal with, and of the public, and recognize that maintaining this trust requires that we be transparent and accountable in how we treat the information that you choose to share with us.
During the course of our various activities, Ocean frequently gathers and uses personal information. Anyone from whom we collect such information should expect that it will be carefully protected and that any use of, or other dealing with, this information is subject to consent. Ocean’s privacy practices are designed to achieve this.
Defining personal information
Personal information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. This information can include an individual’s opinions or beliefs, as well as facts about, or related to, the individual. Exceptions: business contact information and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers as published in telephone directories, are not considered personal information.
Information in the public domain is not subject to privacy legislation and as such is not included in this policy.
The Information We Collect and Use
- Ocean collects Personal Data that you voluntarily provide us, when you register for Ocean, create a profile, or enroll in a course or webinar. We also collect Personal Data when you sign up for email newsletters or alerts on Ocean. Personal Data may contain your name, email, contact information, your location, as well as other information you provide to Ocean.
- Ocean collects billing information when processing payment on ocean.chronicleproject.com in conjunction with purchasing a course or webinar, or making a donation.
- Ocean logs your visits and use of ocean.chronicleproject.com, such as when you view or click on content, participate in conversations, perform a search, watch videos, or participate in a course. We use log-ins, cookies, web beacons, device information and internet protocol (IP) addresses to identify you, your location, and log your use.
- Ocean collects and stores data about you when you use Ocean’s messaging platform, forums, and groups to communicate with other users.
- Ocean collects data through “cookies,” as detailed below.
- Ocean may also obtain information about you through third-party sources as permitted by applicable law, such as public databases, social media platforms, and marketing partners.
Examples of How Ocean Uses Your Data
- To create an account for you to use the Ocean platform and services.
- To personalize Ocean to give you a better experience, such as sending you targeted updates based on your interests.
- To respond to your requests or to manage user accounts.
- To receive product feedback and understand our users better in order to improve Ocean.
- To monitor the safety and security of the Ocean service and platform.
- To use data and content about users for communications promoting membership, job posting, funding drives, and engagement with Ocean, on ocean.chronicleproject.com and across other platforms.
- To target and measure the performance of advertisements displayed to our users directly by Ocean or through third-party advertising partners, on and off Ocean.
- Ocean may disclose your Personally Identifiable Information if disclosure is required by law or as part of a lawsuit or government investigation or proceeding, or in order to permit us to exercise or preserve our legal rights or take action regarding potentially illegal activities or to protect the safety of any person.
Ocean observes the following practices when collecting, maintaining and using personal information:
An individual’s consent is required regarding the collection and proposed use of personal information when information is collected. Consent can be either express or implied and can be provided directly by the individual or by an authorized representative. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from an individual’s action or inaction. An individual’s consent is required before confidential information is released to outside parties.
Ocean’s website uses persistent cookies within visiting browsers to enable the functions of the website and for tracking performance. Specifically, cookies are used the following ways:
- Preserving and expiring visitor sessions on the site (e.g. preserving data between steps of a process; and ending the session after a period of inactivity)
- Storing font size preferences on the site
- Enabling web analytic tools (such as Google Analytics, Clicktale, and iPerceptions – see below)
Cookies are used anonymously and without storing Personally Identifiable Information (PII). Visitors that wish to opt-out of cookies should review the help documentation for their browser software to decline or selectively decline cookies. Note that declining cookies may adversely impact site performance
This website uses Google Analytics to track performance. Google Analytics uses persistent cookies to track visitor sessions, visitors across multiple sessions, and referral sources to our site. We also track the performance of promotional links to our site using Google Analytics. In compliance with the Google Analytics Terms of Service, at no time is personally identifiable information (PII) passed to Google Analytics. Note that Google Analytics stores its data within the United States of America and is subject to US laws. We use this data to understand site performance to serve you better. Those wishing to opt out of Google Analytics data collection should use the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
The collection of personal information is limited to that which is relevant and necessary to our programs and fundraising efforts. Ocean shall not make unwarranted or intrusive inquiries into a donor or prospect’s gift history or personal life. Ocean attributes all data that it collects.
Limited Use, Disclosure, and Retention
Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
Personal information shall be as complete, accurate and up-to-date as possible. Members, donors, and other stakeholders are encouraged to review, correct and update personal information.
Personal information gathered by Ocean shall be kept in confidence. Ocean personnel shall be authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained.
Appropriate physical and electronic measures shall be used to ensure personal information is secure. Access to records shall be limited to those who require such information to fulfill their job responsibilities. Special protection shall be given to all records pertaining to anonymous donors. The confidentiality of sensitive records shall continue after the relationship with the individual has ended.
Donors who request that their name and/or the amount of the gift not be publicly released shall remain anonymous.
Upon request, individuals shall be given access to their personal information, as collected and stored by Ocean.
Further information on privacy and your rights in regard to your personal information may be found on the website of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at www.priv.gc.ca.